june 18, 2017
In this special Father’s Day sermon, Pastor (and father) Eric Ludy talks about the difference between God being our Father (capital F) and the role of the earthly father (lowercase f). In short, the earthly father is supposed to be a picture and reflection of the Heavenly Father—and Pastor Ludy not only gives great insight into fatherhood but gives practical steps on how to be a good and godly father.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them; they shall not be ashamed, but shall speak with their enemies in the gate.
INTRODUCING MY ARROWS
Hudson Jack – my epic inspiration
Harper Grace – my sweet consolation
Kipling “Dubber” Joel Anthony – my uproarious laughter
Avonlea Rose – my passion for Truth
Lily Michlene – my song in the night
Rees William – my inexplicable contentment
The Lowercase “f”
And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
THERE IS ONLY ONE CAPITAL “F” FATHER
There is only one Capital “P” Pastor
There is only one Capital “B” Bridegroom
There is only one Capital “H” Husband
The Difference Between Lowercase “f” and Capital “F” Fatherhood Prepping the Stage for the Speaker
“Leslie, will you allow me to be a placeholder – a lowercase “b” bridegroom until your True Bridegroom returns?”
Introducing “The First” – the one that readies the children for“The Second”
Wherefore the law “the First” was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ “the Second” . . .
The Lowercase “f” father is a First
The Amazing Pattern for the First
You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, “I am not the Christ,” but, “I have been sent before Him.” He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice. Therefore this joy of mine is fulfilled. He must increase, but I must decrease. He who comes from above is above all; he who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of the earth. He who comes from heaven is above all.
THE FIRST CANNOT SAVE THE CHILDREN
But he still has a job to do!
- he must lay a clear picture of the law, the standard
- he must supply the vision of what God will, in fact, do
- he must be a schoolmaster that brings the children unto Christ
THE ROLE OF THE LOWERCASE “F” FATHER
To father these children until the Capital “F” arrives
What Does it Mean to father?
Simply put: To supply authoritative order, protection, provision, discipline, and direction to the lives of children
BUT IT IS FAR MORE THAN THAT
Lowercase “f” fatherhood was built to reveal something much bigger
- It’s meant to showcase the Revelation of the Kingdom of God and His Magnificent Glory
- It’s meant to hold a place, to supply a window into something much greater
- It’s meant to showcase, though imperfectly, the perfect Fatherhood of Heaven
- It’s meant to labor towards the hand-off unto the Capital “F” when He arrives
- And it’s meant to decrease in font-size when the Capital “F” arrives
THE BLUEPRINT FOR THE LOWERCASE “F”
the sacred labor of the first
Dear Lowercase father,
- Build a house according to the Pattern Shown
- Establish a government upon the Pattern Shown
- Be a benevolent king
- Live in an understanding way with a God-fearing priesthood
- Labor to make sure each tribe under your rule is both
fitfor battle and understands ranks and battle formation
- Labor to make sure that each tribe under your rule is actively cultivating and developing its unique real-estate and learning work and trade
- Labor to make sure that each tribe is readied with daily oil in their lamp so that when the Bridegroom comes into their life they will be ready to welcome Him
- And when the True House comes, you, the first house, will be seen as merely a shadow
- When the True King arrives, you, the first king, will be realized as merely a tutor
- When the True Lord of Hosts steps onto the scene, you, the previous military general, will step aside and fall into rank
- When the True Christ arrives, then all the real-estate in all your land will be offered up; all its talents, all its abilities will be laid at His feet – for Him to use as He deems fit
The Holy Spirit, The Builder of the Best Lowercase fathers
THE TWO MODERN EXTREMES
the “Big Daddy Brigade” and the “Make-Him-Earthly Movement”
Danger #1 – The Big Daddy Brigade
If a father doesn’t labor towards the eventual passing off unto the Capital “F” then he assumes that Capital position, whether wittingly or unwittingly
Danger #2 – The Make-Him-Earthly Movement
If a believer doesn’t allow the Capital “F” Father to assume a role greater than that of their earthly lower case “f” father then they assume a Capital “F” position in their life, whether wittingly or unwittingly
THE KINGDOM FATHER
The man laboring to diligently prepare his children for the loving daily care and total-life-governance of the Capital “F” Father
He awaits the arrival of Jesus Christ at the Jordan River in the life of his children
And then he announces to them, “Behold, this is the Capital version, of which I have merely been a lowercase placeholder.
THE JORDAN RIVER
The painful place where the hand-off is made
Yarden – Yar·dān’
The coming down, the humble descent
AT THE JORDAN
And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
THE FIRST MUST YIELD TO THE SECOND
- Moses hands the children off to Joshua
- Elijah hands the mantle off to Elisha
- John the Baptist hands the bride off to the Bridegroom
And at the Arrival of the Government of Jesus in our Kid’s Lives
We, as earthly fathers, also make the hand-off
We May Be Lowercase “f” fathers
nonetheless, we do have an extraordinary role to play
REMEMBER THE INVISIBLE HAND?
Think Capital “F” Father
REMEMBER THE WORK GLOVE
Think lowercase “f” father
THE LAW OF THE INVISIBLE HAND
the Invisible Hand (or the Capital “F” Father) is revealed only through a work glove
No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him (revealed God to us; has made Him known; has explained Him).
JESUS BECAME A WORK GLOVE
And He functioned perfectly, the way a work glove ought to function
He that hath seen me hath seen the Father . . .
Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he sees the Father do: for whatsoever things He does, these also does the Son likewise.
For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of Him that sent me.
Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but His that sent me.
. . . I do nothing of myself; but as my Father has taught me, I speak these things.
For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he does the works.
He gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
DO YOU WANT TO BE A GODLY FATHER?
The words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwells in me,
Then submit to the Capital “F” Father as if you were a work glove. And show this world that amazing behavior that is, otherwise, invisible.
When the Hand points, you point. When the Hand grips, you grip. When the Hand waves, you wave. Be in perfect harmony with the movements of the Hand.
And in so doing, though you are merely a lowercase “f” father, you will reveal the Capital “F” Father in and through your life.